Monday, January 26, 2015

Blizzard Soup

**Taking a break from my normal design inspiration posts for the moment**

In case you've been hiding under a tree, those of us in the NorthEast are getting hit hard with a major blizzard.  There is something about a big snowstorm that gets me giddy with excitement.  It makes me nostalgic for the days of watching the news, guessing how many inches of snow we'll get, how many days off of school we will get, and then scheming to get a friend to come over and 'get stuck' at my house.  Now, years later, I still get giddy.  I still watch the news all day, watch the snow come down, and get excited to go sledding with the kids.  It is also a great excuse to try some new recipes.  I'm starting off the snowstorm with a big batch of italiam sausage soup.  My kids loved it, it's hearty enough for a man, yet brothy and filled with vegetables.  Here is my version of the classic recipe:

1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes (bigger can)
5 c beef broth
1 zucchini
1 lb italian sausage
1 onion
1/2 - 1 c diced carrotts
1 c. canneli beans
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 tsp basil (or fresh basil)
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper

Remove casing and brown italian sausage in frying pan.  Remove the drippings, leaving about 1 tbsp. Add diced onion and minced garlic cloves.  Combine all of the ingredients except tortellini in a crock pot.  Cook on high 4 hours or low 6.  Add cooked pasta 30 min. prior to serving.

Serve with bread and enjoy!  ....You'll have enough to last you atleast 2 meals!

With Love,
Brittany
 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...